Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Quick and Easy Marinara

This is a really quick and easy pasta sauce and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.  Tonight I was going to make a salad and some honey mustard chicken nuggets, but it's raining and I just didn't feel like having a salad.  I made marinara instead and will be serving it with store-bought ravioli.  Topping it with parmesan, of course!

2 T. olive oil
3/4 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. fennel seeds, crushed
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeds removed, minced (less if you don't like spicy)
2 t. dried Mexican oregano
2 t. tomato paste
1 can (15 oz.) fire roasted crushed tomatoes (I use Muir Glen brand)
1 can (28 oz.) San Marzano whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
About 1 cup water
Salt
Handful of fresh basil, chiffonade (cut into strips)

Heat oil and add onion.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Add fennel seeds and chipotle and continue cooking another few minutes.  Add garlic and cook for another minute or so.  Add dried oregano.  Add the tomatoes, paste, and the water.  Season with salt.  Simmer for about an hour until you get a good consistency.  Taste and add more salt if necessary.  Add basil at the end of your cooking time.

Don't forget to top whatever you use the sauce for with parmesan!

No comments:

Post a Comment