Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Roasted Vegetable Israeli Couscous

I love roasted vegetables and today I got some beauties at Central Market so I decided to make couscous.  I used Israeli couscous, which is the large pearl type.  I love couscous when I need a change of pace from quinoa.  It's basically pasta so it's not as healthy as quinoa, but I love the taste and texture.  Any type of vegetables can be used.  Here are the ones I used:
I love the tender little eggplant I find at Central Market.  The verigated ones are my favorites.  Basically, just go for color and what's in season when picking out your veggies.

1 cup Israeli couscous (also called pearl couscous)
2 cups water
1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise and seeds removed
1 zucchini or calabaza squash
1 yellow squash
1 Japanese eggplant
½ inch thick slice red onion

2 T. white balsamic vinegar
1 T. olive oil
Zest and juice of one large lemon
1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade

Cut the vegetables (except the pepper and onion) into bite-sized pieces.  Put in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper and mix well.  Divide the vegetables onto two foil-lined baking sheets.  Put a little oil on the pepper slices and the chunk of onion.  Put those on the baking sheets as well.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

While the vegetables are roasting, bring 2 cups water to a boil.  Add 1 t. salt and 1 cup Israeli couscous.  Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.  Drain, rinse well, and drain again.

For the vinaigrette, combine the balsamic, olive oil, zest, juice, and chives.  Chop the wedge of roasted red onion and the red peppers (the charred skin should come off easily).  Add the vegetables to the couscous and dress with the vinaigrette.  Add the basil and stir to combine.   


No comments:

Post a Comment