Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Black Quinoa Salad and Quinoa Scampi

I decided to use black quinoa instead of the usual white and it made a really pretty and tasty salad.  I found that the black quinoa really benefitted from a good soaking and then rinsing; otherwise, it remained too seed-like.  I also used less water than regular quinoa.  You can use any veggie combination; I just pick out nice colors that compliment each other.

1 cup black quinoa
1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
1 cup corn
4 green onions, chopped
½ cup feta
½ cup Cilantro
Zest and juice of one lemon

Put the quinoa in a fine strainer and immerse in cold water for about 10 minutes.  Drain and rinse well.  Put in a small saucepan and add the broth.  Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all of the water has absorbed.

Put the cooked quinoa in a large bowl and stir with a fork.  Let cool for 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally with the fork.

Add all the veggies, lemon and zest, cilantro, and the feta cheese.  Stir to combine.

Black Quinoa Salad Shrimp Scampi:

I decided to make my Shrimp Scampi and then I poured that over this Black Quinoa Salad instead of pasta.  I left the lemon and zest out of the salad since there’s plenty in the scampi.  I also substituted parsley for cilantro and used plenty of garlic.  The recipe for my Shrimp Scampi is a page or two back.  This was so flavorful!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment