Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan

I love eggplant parmesan, but I don't like having to bread and fry the eggplant.  It just absorbs too much oil and that kind of freaks me out.  So, I decided to roast the eggplant slices and it turned out great!  I use my Quick and Easy Marinara recipe, but you can use jarred if you want.  I decided to add Italian sausage to the sauce since we hadn't eaten meat in about 10 days, but that's definitely optional. 

Serve this with your favorite pasta.  I used whole wheat capellini, which is a little thicker than angel hair.  Loved this dish, and it was even better the next day.

2 large purple eggplant (about 2 lbs. total), cut into 3/4" slices
Olive oil (about 1/2 cup)
Salt and pepper
About 3-4 cups marinara sauce
2 links Italian sausage, if using
1/2 cup fresh basil*
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan

Cook the sausage, if using.  Drain in a paper towel lined bowl and set aside until marinara is done.  Add the sausage and basil to the marinara when it is done simmering.

Line a baking sheet with foil and top with a baking rack.  Put olive oil in a small bowl and use a pastry brush to coat both sides of each eggplant slice.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper (I only do this on one side). Place on the baking rack.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Turn the eggplant over and continue baking another 20 minutes.  You'll need one baking sheet and rack for each eggplant.

Coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Put about 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan.  Add roasted eggplant slices.  Top with remaining sauce.  Add mozzarella and Parmesan.

Bake at 400 degrees an additional 10-15 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown.

Serve with your favorite pasta.  Great when accompanied by salad and garlic bread!

*There is fresh basil in my sauce recipe.  If you use a jarred sauce or another recipe, be sure to add fresh basil.



No comments:

Post a Comment