Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Veggie Lasagna

I haven't made lasagna in ages and this one turned out really tasty.  We now have prewashed baby kale at work so I used a 5 oz. package of that plus about another 2-3 oz. of baby spinach.  I added mushrooms and onions and included some rehydrated porcini mushrooms that I had leftover from a risotto dish.  I used Italian Fontina cheese instead of mozzarella because that is what I had.  I'm sure mozzarella would work just as well. 

I think the trick to a good lasagna is to not load up on the ingredients.  More is not merrier when it comes to lasagna.

12 lasagna noodles (I use whole wheat), or use no-bake noodles
8 oz. baby kale and/or baby spinach, pre-washed
½ large sweet onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms (I like baby bellas), sliced
1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms (optional)
1 large carrot, shredded
1 t. dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste

1 (16 oz.) container whole or part-skim ricotta (about 2 cups)
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 cups Italian Fontina or mozzarella, grated (divided)
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
1 t. Mexican oregano
½ cup Italian parsley, chopped

About 3 cups marinara sauce (I use my spaghetti sauce recipe, minus the meatballs)

Cook the noodles until just done.  Drain and lay flat on a clean kitchen towel.

If using dried mushrooms, add them to a cup of boiling water and reconstitute for about 15 minutes.  Remove from the water and coarsely chop. 

In a heavy large pan (I use my Dutch oven), add olive oil (about 2 T.) and cook the onion until soft.  Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates.  Add the carrot and garlic.  If using, add the reconstituted mushrooms to the vegetable mixture.  Add the kale and/or spinach and cook until just wilted.  Season with thyme, salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg and add the ricotta, 1 cup Fontina or mozzarella, the Parmesan, oregano, and parsley.  Mix well.

Coat a 9x11 pan with cooking spray.  Cover the bottom with some of the sauce.  Add 3 noodles over the sauce.  Spread half the ricotta mixture over the noodles (use a spatula) and add another layer of noodles.  Add the vegetable mixture and top with a little sauce.  Add another layer of noodles and the remaining ricotta mixture.  Add the last layer of noodles.  Top with sauce. 

Make sure the top layer of noodles is completely covered with sauce.  Use your fingers and press the noodles down into the sauce, if necessary.  Cover with foil and bake at 375° for 40 minutes.  Uncover and top with remaining cheese.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.

Let sit at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment