Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Green Chiles & Cheese Casserole

My mom used to make this casserole and my sister, Arndis, is crazy about it.  I remember her buying canned green chiles to take back to Iceland.  The original recipe has a ton of cheese in it so I cut way back on that.  I also topped it with salsa instead of the original tomato sauce.  So yummy and even better the next day.

2 (7 oz.) cans whole green chiles (preferably fire roasted), drained
1 small (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
4 eggs
10-12 dashes tabasco
1 T. flour (I use brown rice flour)
1 t. baking powder
1 cup (about 4 oz.) finely shredded cheese (I use CoJack or Mexican Blend)
¼ cup salsa or picante sauce (not too chunky)


In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, tabasco, flour and baking powder until very well blended.
 
Coat a serving dish (about 8”x8”) with cooking spray.  Cut one side of the chiles lengthwise so that they lay flat.  Line the serving dish with one can of the chiles.  Top with half the cheese.  Repeat with another layer of chiles and cheese.
 
Top with the egg mixture and press down with your fingers to make sure all of the cheese is covered by the egg mixture.
 
Bake for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees.  Remove and top with salsa.  Bake an additional 2-3 minutes.  Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
 
Here's a slice of this tasty goodness:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment