Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Pulled Pork Sammies

I called mom tonight and she asked me what was for dinner.  I told her Pulled Pork Sammies and Baked Onion Rings.  She really wanted to be here for dinner!  I don't make this a lot cause we don't eat like this a lot, but at least the rings are baked.  The pulled pork is awesome and a real treat.  Here's the recipe:

3-4 pound boneless pork butt (called the butt, but it's actually the piggy's shoulder)
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
Your favorite rub

Sprinkle pork with plenty of rub (see my baby back rib recipe for the rub I like to use).  Refrigerate for at least one day.

Put a small adjustable rack into a large roasting pan.  Spray everything with cooking spray to help with cleanup.  Place pork roast on rack and pour apple juice and water into pan.  Cover with foil or pan lid. 

Bake at 300 degrees for 5 hours.  Uncover and bake another 1/2 hour.  Remove and let cool.

Shred pork into a bowl.  Add a cup or so of the baking liquid and then add your favorite BBQ sauce. 

Serve on buns (I use whole wheat, of course) with pickles (try Wickles Pickles...they rock!!).  Topping with cole slaw is really good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment