Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Mango Slaw

This is my favorite slaw to use for shrimp or fish tacos, especially when mangoes are good.  I buy a bag of Rainbow Salad instead of shredding the cabbage myself.  I like the Rainbow Salad (brand name is Mann's) because it's cabbage, carrots, and broccoli.  Really makes for a beautiful slaw.

1 large mango, peeled and diced (about 1-1/4 cups)
3 cups+ grated cabbage, carrots, and broccoli*
1 red pepper (1 cup), cut into thin strips
¼ cup red onion, finely diced
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1 T. pickled jalapeno (or more according to taste; less if you're one of my relatives.  LOL!)
1 T. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 T. fresh orange juice
2 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. rice vinegar
1 T. toasted sesame oil

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors blend.  Remove from fridge and let sit about 30 minutes before serving.  Stir well before serving.

The fish/shrimp marinade is really simple.  I just coat with oil and sprinkle generously with Jerk seasoning.  I love the sweet/hot flavor of Jerk seasoning.  To cook, just saute on a non-stick pan.  There's already oil on the fish so no need to add more.

*You may need more slaw since it will start releasing water as it sits.  The bag is 12 oz. so you'll have plenty to work with if you buy the Rainbow Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment