Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mojo Marinated Chicken

I've been using a lot of citrus lately, probably because we have so much beautiful citrus at Central Market right now.  The CM air-chilled boneless chicken breasts were on sale last week so I decided to make a Mojo marinade.  Mojo is a Cuban citrus based marinade usually made with sour Seville oranges.  I used regular oranges (the Heirloom Navels were on sale) and added fresh lemon and lime.  I reserved about a third of the marinade, strained it, heated it, and then poured that over the cooked chicken.  Turned out really good!

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 T. honey
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Habanero, seeded and cut into pieces
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2-4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves*

Combine marinade ingredients (reserve 1/3 for sauce if you want) and marinade breasts for 30 minutes on each side.  Discard marinade.  Grill until chicken is done, about 7 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the breasts.  Transfer chicken to a serving dish.  Heat reserved, strained marinade (you don't want to eat the halapeno!) and pour over the breasts.  Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.

I served this with my Quinoa with Mandarins, Fennel and Pistachios.  Citrus Fest! 

*The breasts will cook better if you flatten them slightly so that they are a more even thickness.  Don't flatten completely; just the thickest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment