Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Shrimp and Grits

This is pure comfort food!  I use hominy grits that I buy in the Bulk section at Central Market.  They only take about 10 minutes to cook.  Use whatever grits you like and follow the package directions.  I add a very small amount of cooked bacon to the grits when they are done cooking.  This just gives the grits a little bite.  I buy the Applewood smoked bacon from our Meat department at work and freeze it for when I need it.  Then I cut off the amount I need and dice it while it's still partially frozen.  Such an easy way to cut up bacon.  I've made it without the bacon too and it's still really good.  Here's the bacon after cooking:
I have cooked the shrimp in the bacon grease but decided I like it better cooked in olive oil and butter.  Here's the recipe:

1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
Salt and pepper
1 T. olive oil + 1 T. butter

½ cup hominy grits (white)
2 cups water
Salt
2-3 slices bacon, small diced (optional)
½ cup lightly smoked cheese (I used Applewood smoked Fontina that I buy at HEB)
1 T. butter

2 cloves (about 1 T.) garlic, minced
Juice from ½ lemon
2 T. fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, minced

Place the diced bacon in a non-stick skillet.  Turn the heat on and then cook until bacon is crispy and brown.  Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined bowl.   Let bacon grease cool and then discard or save for future use.

In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil.  Add a little salt and ½ cup grits.  Note that all grits cook differently so just follow the directions on your grits.  Stir the grits big time at first (this prevents lumps) and then turn the heat down and simmer (stirring occasionally) about 10 minutes.  When the grits are cooked and thick, add 1 T. butter, the cheese, and the bacon bits.

Heat 1 T. olive oil and 1 T. butter in a skillet.  Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.  Cook about 2 minutes and then flip with tongs.  Add the minced garlic, lower the heat, and continue cooking another minute or two, swishing the pan back and forth to keep the garlic from burning.  Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and parsley.

Spoon the grits onto a plate and top with the shrimp mixture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment