Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Baked Fish Sandwiches with Chipotle Tartar Sauce

I was in the mood for a fish sandwich and onion rings so I decided to use the same technique for both.  I made my usual Baked Onion Rings (posted 05/23/2011) but doubled up on the crumbs.  When I was done coating the rings, I put the fish (I used Tilapia) in the leftover kefir mixture and pressed it into the crumbs.  I baked both on a rack like usual and sprayed the crumbs with cooking spray (helps to brown them).  I used the same oven temperature for the fish and the rings (450 degrees) and the fish was done in about 12 minutes.

Served the fish with a Chipotle Tartar Sauce which added great flavor.  Tilapia is such a flavorless fish but I get fresh Tilapia at Costco for about $5.99 a pound, so I use it often.  Here's the Chipotle Tartar Sauce recipe.  Use as much or little chipotle as you want.  I use more than 2 teaspoons but it's a good place to start.  If you haven't used chipotles in adobo sauce, you should!  They give a nice smokey heat.  Look for them in small cans in the Latin food section at your grocery store.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 T. pickle relish (I use Wickles because they’re wickedly delicious!)
1 T. Champagne or white wine vinegar
1 T. capers, drained and chopped
1 t. coarse-grained mustard
2 t. chipotle in adobo sauce, seeds removed and minced fine
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper

Combine ingredients and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment