Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Caprese Quinoa

This is the time of year for caprese salad (mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil) so I decided to make one with quinoa.  It turned out really great.  I cooked the quinoa the night before, let it cool, and then refrigerated it.  I used a new balsamic vinegar that we started carrying at work.  It's from California and called Mia's Kitchen.  It's sweet and just wonderful.  It's hard to find good balsamics that are sweet and inexpensive (I paid $12.99).  It's so important to use a good balsamic; otherwise, you're just using vinegar.

1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
8 oz. fresh small mozzarella balls (bocconcini), cut in half
Handful of basil leaves, chiffonade*
3 T. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.  Stir to combine well.  Allow to marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

Add cooled quinoa and combine well.

No comments:

Post a Comment