Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mojo Chicken with Grilled Pepper Boats

The sweet peppers are so great right now.  I bought yellow, orange and red ones and have been using them in everything.  I grilled some Mojo Marinated Chicken the other night and made these grilled pepper boats as a side dish.  I stuffed them with grilled avocado and topped with some beautiful ripe tomato slices.  Excellent and so colorful.  I love colorful food!  I've posted the recipe before but here it is again:

One sweet pepper (any color except green), cut in half, seeds and membrane removed
1 large Haas avocado, ripe but not too soft, cut in half, seed removed, skin left on
2 slices ripe tomato
Juice of half a lime
Sprinkle of cumin
Fresh chopped cilantro (or basil!  See the Update below)
Olive oil

Rub peppers with olive oil, inside and out.  Put olive oil on the cut side of the avocadoes.  Grill the peppers on both sides until they start to char a little and get soft.  You don't want them to get too black so watch your heat.  Grill the avocado oiled side down until you get good grill marks.  Sprinkle avocado with cumin.

To assemble, use a large spoon and scoop out the avocado in one piece.  Put into a pepper half, and add a squeeze of lime.  Top with tomato slices.  Season with a little more lime and salt.  Garnish with fresh cilantro.

If you're making more than two servings, use different colored peppers.  Yellow and orange work best because you already have red in the tomato.

Click on the picture to see a close up of the peppers.

UPDATE:  Didn't have any cilantro tonight so I garnished the pepper boats with fresh basil.  I think I like that better!

No comments:

Post a Comment