Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, June 1, 2012

Frittata

Finally, I made a frittata!  I invited Rob over for dinner since he was leaving the next day for Iowa.  I decided on a frittata but kind of freaked out the night before and had to call my girl, Roxy, for instructions.  As usual, Roxy came through with perfect instructions.  I used sausage, peppers and onions for the filling.  I used Parmesan cheese cause that's what I had, but just about any cheese will do.  I will definitely be experimenting in the future!  Here are the basic instructions:

12 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup water
1 cup fresh grated Parmesan, reserve about 1/4 cup for the top
2 links Italian sausage (I used mild made by Central Market)
About 3 cups diced green and red peppers and sweet yellow onion
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large (12" works fine, as does a deep 10") oven-proof, non-stick skillet, brown the sausage.  Remove to a paper-towel lined bowl with a slotted spoon and let drain well.  Let skillet cool and then wipe clean with a paper towel.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in the same skillet and add the peppers and onions.  Cook until soft.  Add the sausage.

Blend the Parmesan into the eggs (reserving a little for the top).  Pour the egg mixture into the skillet.  Using a heat proof spatula, stir the eggs on the sides and bottom of the pan just to make sure the sausage is evenly distributed.  When the bottom and sides begin to set, sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and place the skillet in the oven.

Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until eggs are set.  I used a large 12" skillet and mine was done after 12 minutes.  If you use a deeper 10" skillet it will probably take a little longer.  Don't overcook as it will keep cooking in the pan after you take it out of the oven.

Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes.  Put a large platter on top of the skillet and flip it over, removing the frittata.  Let cool another 10 minutes or so and then flip it back to the other side (the pretty top side).

I served this with caprese tomatoes and a crusty French bread from Central Market.  Also served salsa on the side.  I got 8 large slices and even with Rob the Amazing Eating Machine there, we had 2 slices left over.  That's what you see in the picture since we forgot to take one before we ate.

Remember that any combination can be used for the filling.  I also think you can use less eggs, or use a combination of whole eggs and egg whites if you need to cut down on the fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment