Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Squash Medley

I find summer squash to be pretty boring but it's so plentiful that I decided to come up with a way to make it flavorful while still keeping it healthy.  I buy a mixture of whatever summer squashes are available and always choose the smaller ones over the larger.  This saute only took a few minutes and the results were tasty and definitely not boring!

5-6 smallish yellow squash, zucchini, etc., cut into cubes
1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 T. olive oil
Salt to taste*
2 T. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 T. fresh Tarragon, chopped finely
1/2 lemon, juiced

In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the onions and squash and saute about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic clove and tomatoes and continue cooking another minute or two.  Season with salt.  Turn off heat and add the parsley, tarragon, and fresh lemon juice. 

*So why do I never give amounts for salt?  Mainly because I always use Kosher salt, which is coarse.  Regular table salt, like Morton's, is very fine and a single teaspoon contains more salt than over a tablespoon of Kosher or other coarse salt.  The only time I use table salt is in baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment