Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pasta with Shrimp and Marinated Artichoke Hearts

I've been making this cold shrimp pasta for years.  I normally use 21/25 count shrimp, or even smaller, but I have shrimp that I brought back from Pensacola that is huge, so I just cut them in half and some in thirds.  I love marinating my artichoke hearts because they turn out way better than the canned or jarred ones.

I usually make this dish ahead of time.  I cook and peel the shrimp and marinade the artichoke hearts the day before.  I take the marinade out of the refrigerator an hour or two before assembling the salad so the olive oil comes back to room temperature.  I also add the cooked shrimp to the marinade while I'm boiling the pasta and chopping the rest of the ingredients. 

You can eat the salad right away but I prefer to eat it cold.  I do take it out of the refrigerator about an hour before serving.

2 (14 oz.) cans artichoke hearts, drained and cut into fourths.
¾ cup olive oil
Grated zest of one lemon
Juice of one large lemon
2 T. sherry or red wine vinegar
2 t. oregano, preferably Mexican
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
½ t. each pepper and salt

Combine the above ingredients in a saucepan and bring to simmer.  Remove from heat and let sit for a few hours at room temperature or refrigerate overnight. 

In a large serving bowl, combine marinated mixture with the following ingredients:

1-1/2 lbs. cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
14 oz. cooked large (not jumbo) shell pasta (or pasta of your choice)*
½ cup finely chopped red onion
½ chopped Italian parsley
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
½ cup sliced black olives (2.25 oz. can)

*The only large (not jumbo) shells I have ever found here are Skinner brand.  They come in 12 ounce packages but I find that 14 ounces just works better for this salad.  So I add another 2 ounces of shells (that's one cup dry).

No comments:

Post a Comment