Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Mushroom, Spinach and Tomato Sauce

 I wanted to change up my usual pasta sauce recipe so I added mushrooms and spinach.  Turned out really good and it was a great way to eat plenty of veggies.  Here is the finished sauce:
1/2 pound (or more) mushrooms (I used portobello), sliced
1-1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced
6 oz. baby spinach, roughly chopped
2-3 cloves (1 T.) garlic, minced
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 t. fennel seeds, crushed
1/2 t. fresh lemon zest
Parmesan
Reserved pasta water

Saute mushrooms in olive oil for about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, fennel seeds, and tomatoes.  Season with salt and continue cooking about 8 minutes or until mixture gets saucey.  Add the spinach, pine nuts, and lemon zest.

Cook pasta of your choice (I used ravioli, but it certainly doesn't have to be stuffed pasta) and add to the sauce.  Add a little pasta water if necessary.  Serve topped with parmesan.


No comments:

Post a Comment