Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Shrimp Risotto

This was so delicious!!  I made shrimp stock earlier in the day using my frozen shrimp shells and then made risotto with the stock.  Totally wonderful!

UPDATE: Last night I made this risotto again but I didn't have fennel. So, I skipped the fennel and added frozen tiny peas before adding the spinach. Fabulous!! 

1 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
3/4 cup sliced shallots
1 fennel bulb, sliced
4 cups (more or less) stock, heated
6 oz. baby spinach, rough chopped
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup Arborio rice
½ cup dry white wine
¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan
1 T. butter
Zest of 1/4 lemon
Salt and pepper


Heat the butter (1 T.) and olive oil in a large skillet. Add the fennel and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the shallot and continue cooking about 5 minutes.  Season with salt. Meanwhile, heat your stock and keep it simmering on the stove.
 
Add the rice to the shallot mixture and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes and keep stirring. Do not brown the rice; you are just releasing the starches. Add the wine and cook until liquid is absorbed. Add a ladle or two of stock into the rice mixture. Simmer until the rice has absorbed the liquid, stirring often. Keep doing this until all of your stock is gone, or until the rice is done. Taste the rice. It should be soft but still have a bit of a bite.

Add the spinach and cook for a minute or two.  Add the shrimp and cook until pink, about 3 minutes. 
Finish the risotto with the Parmesan, 1 T. butter,  and lemon zest. 

Shrimp Stock
 
So, I made my own shrimp stock and it turned out great. I save the shells in the freezer from shrimp that I cook and today I got to use them.  I started off with a huge pot and sauteed the shells in some olive oil for about 10 minutes.  Then I reduced the heat a little and added a whole sliced red onion (skin and all), a diced carrot, 3 garlic cloves (smashed), a diced celery stick, and a bunch of fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, dill).  Also added a tablespoon of fennel seed, a couple of bay leaves, and a generous pinch of saffron.  Seasoned with salt and pepper.
 
I cooked this mixture for about 30 minutes.  I added a splash of water now and then so it wouldn't burn but didn't add all the water until everything was cooked down.  Once it was, I added about 4 quarts of water and brought it to a boil.  Then I simmered it for about a half hour and that was it.  Best broth ever for sure!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment