Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Potato Pepper and Tomato Frittata

I've been perfecting my frittata recipe and finally think I have it perfect.  First, we've decided we like our frittata thinner so I use less eggs.  Second, I now use a cast iron skillet, which cooks everything evenly and I never have a problem with the frittata sticking.  Third, I found that onions overpowered the rest of the ingredients, especially when eating leftovers, so now I use shallot.  Lastly, the addition of tomatoes (I had leftover campari tomatoes) and a sprinkling of finely grated parmesan over the top made it smell like pizza.  Nothing ever wrong with the smell of pizza!

5 small red potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes (about a cup or so)
½ green bell pepper, cut into one inch strips
1 medium shallot, sliced thin and roughly chopped
8 eggs
3 green onions, chopped, green part only (chives would be fine too)
5-6 dashes Tabasco or other hot sauce
1 t. all purpose seasoning (I use Anna’s herbs)
¼ cup milk
About 10 tomato slices (like Campari or Roma)
Fresh grated parmesan (about ¼ cup)
 


Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a cast iron skillet (or other skillet if you don’t have a cast iron one).  Add a tablespoon of butter and sauté the potato cubes for about 8 minutes.  Add the green pepper and continue cooking for 5 minutes.  Add the shallot and cook another 2-3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
 
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, green onions, Tabasco and your favorite all-purpose seasoning (I use Anna’s Herbs from Austin).  You can also season with salt and pepper if you don’t have a favorite all-purpose seasoning.   
 
Add egg mixture to cooked vegetables and reduce heat to medium low.  Stir the eggs until they start to scramble.  Add tomato slices and top with the grated parmesan.
 
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes or until just set in the middle.  Keep checking it with a knife to see if the middle is set.  Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes.  Run a knife around the edges.  Put a large plate over the skillet and invert the frittata onto the plate.  Use another plate and invert again so the tomatoes are on the top.
 
Cut into wedges and serve.  Really good hot, warm, or even cold the next day for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment