Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Enchiladas Verde with Kale, Fennel, and Beans

Since I bought kale and fennel at the Farmer's Market, I decided to make some veggie enchiladas.  I used verde sauce but a red enchilada sauce or even salsa would work too.  Paired it with a simple salad of greens and tomatoes (from the Farmer's Market, of course!) dressed with olive oil and a fig white balsamic vinegar (yeah, from F.M.).

8 small corn tortillas
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced thin
1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced thin
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 lemon
Cumin and coriander
Mexican cheese blend
Salsa verde mixed with Greek yogurt or crema

In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add fennel and onion.  Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the kale and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes.  Season with salt, cumin, and coriander.  Add the pine nuts and the beans and cook until heated through.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice.  Let mixture cool.

If using salsa verde, heat it up and mix in a little yogurt or crema.  Salsa right out of a jar would be good with this too, I would think.  I'll have to do that next time.

In a dry skillet, heat the tortillas on each side.  Put a little salsa on the bottom of an 8"x8" baking pan.  Fill each tortilla with an 1/8th of the kale/bean mixture.  Roll them up and put them seam-side down in the dish.  Top with remaining salsa and sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees until cheese is melted and turning brown, about 20 minutes or so.

Any kind of veggies can be used.  I add the beans for protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment