Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Potato Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sauce

Gnocci is such a great alternative to wheat pasta.  I really want to make my own from scratch but I'll wait until I move into the new house and have a better kitchen.  I bought these at Trader Joe's and they're good, but a little too large.  I sauteed some mushrooms and tomatoes and finished the dish with a light gorgonzola sauce and some fresh tarragon.

Here are most of the needed ingredients:
The Sauce:
1-1/4 T. butter
1 T. flour
1 cup milk (I use skim)
6 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola
Pinch of nutmeg

In a small saucepan, melt the butter.  Add the flour and whisk for a minute or two.  Add the milk and whisk to combine.  Simmer sauce for 5-10 minutes until it starts to thicken.  Add the cheese and nutmeg and combine.  Keep warm.

The Gnocchi:
3 plum tomatoes, diced
8-10 medium sized cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 pound package of gnocchi
Fresh tarragon or other herb (about 1 T.)
Fresh grated Parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the gnocchi and cook just until they start to float to the top, about 2 minutes. 

Heat a saucepan over medium high heat and add a little olive oil.  Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Using a slotted spoon, remove the gnocchi from the water and add it directly to the mushroom mixture.  Stir to combine.  Add about half of the gorgonzola sauce (or as much as you want).  Add the tarragon and spoon into serving bowls.  Top with fresh grated parmesan.

You will have more sauce than necessary.  I save it for gnocchi another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment