Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Good For You Blueberry Muffins

I really like muffins but I hate how full of fat and sugar they are.  I played around with lots of recipes until I finally perfected this one.  I use no fat Greek yogurt and applesauce in place of lots of fat and sugar.  I also use whole wheat pastry flour. 

I've made them will all kinds of different fruit, including mango, which was really, really good but very ooey and gooey to eat.  They don't keep well out of the refrigerator so I usually put most of them in the fridge and just leave out a couple or three right after I bake them.

Here they are right out of the oven.
And, since I forgot initially, here is the recipe!:

2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 T. ground flax seed (optional)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar  
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup + 2 T. natural unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup (6 oz.) fat free (0%) Fage yogurt (or other Greek yogurt)
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Coat muffin pans with cooking spray.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flax seed.
In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and oil until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in the applesauce and vanilla.
Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the yogurt. Whisk just until combined.  Using a spatula, gently stir in the blueberries.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a pick inserted in center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
Makes 12 large muffins.

2 comments:

  1. HELEN!! I LOVE your food blog!!! mmmm, I am going to make the spring rolls, and definitely the mango chipotle sauce!! Aaaandd "my favorite salad" sounds sooo goo right about NOW. Awesome! I too love cumin on my carrots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen swears these muffins are actually healthy. I don't believe it... they taste too good!

    ReplyDelete