Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Welcome to My Blog!!

So, I have decided to start a food blog.  I decided on the rather weird name for my blog because most people associate relaxing with hammocks.  I associate relaxing with cooking.  I LOVE to cook.  And why Hen and not Helen?  Well, when our nieces, Colleen and Megan, were little they couldn't say Helen, so they just called me Hen.  Why be a Helen when you can be a much more original "Hen".

I hope you all enjoy my blog and find some of my recipes worth trying.  I try to cook mainly healthy things but taste is most important.  I also try not to get overly complicated.

So, how did I get so interested in food?  I've always enjoyed cooking and I have a mom who is a great cook so I have always expected that food should be good.  But, I wasn't obsessed with it until we moved to Austin.  See, I used to be crazy about gardening in Florida, but when we moved to Austin I realized that gardening involves heavy equipment, like a pickaxe!  A little too labor intensive for me, so I needed a new hobby.

I started watching the Food Network and started getting more adventurous with my cooking.  I fell in love with a local grocery store called Central Market, which just happens to be five minutes down the road.  The place is incredible and I am now forever spoiled.  About four years ago, I got a job at Central Market and I am now known as a Foodie.

What is a Foodie??  Foodies are unique to Central Market.  We are a group of 10 fabulous ladies whose job it is to help our customers find products, help them with dinner suggestions, answer cooking questions, and much more.  So basically, I get paid for walking around in a store I love and I get to talk about food all day.  Tough job, I know, but someone's got to do it.

I wanted to put together a collection of my favorite recipes and make it into a book to give to my sisters, mom, nieces, etc.  Then my friend, and fellow Foodie, Shelly, told me about her food blog (http://shellypalooza.blogspot.com/).  I knew that was the way to go!  So, now I have a blog that I am sharing with you.  Stuart has been so supportive of my new hobby.  Of course, he loves to eat the food I cook, but he also puts up with my craziness before almost every dinner:  "Wait, don't eat that yet; we need a picture for the blog!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I'm the one in the hammock while Helen busts her buns making such yummy and healthy food!

    ReplyDelete