Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Balsamic Cream Chicken Family Style

We were in Gulf Breeze recently and I made my Balsamic Cream Chicken (recipe from June 8 below) for the family.  Since I usually make this for just me and Stuart, I had to increase the recipe.  Colleen took a great picture for me of the end result.  I served it family style, with a pound of whole wheat capellini on the bottom.  I also roasted the tomatoes which was really good, even though Megan thought they were wierd!  Also, since I had so many chicken breasts, I just sauteed them on both sides and then put them in a 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  They turned out nice and juicy.

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, flattened to even thickness and cut in half
2 large shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
Flour
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup cream
Balsamic glaze to taste
2-3 T. butter
Salt and pepper
2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 lb. whole wheat capellini or angel hair pasta


Coat chicken with flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper.  Shake off excess.  Saute breasts in olive oil until lightly browned and cooked through (or brown them and finish them in the oven). 

Remove breasts, add butter and cook shallots over medium heat for about 2 minutes.  Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup of flour and whisk to a paste, cooking for about 1 minute.  Add chicken stock and stir until it thickens.  Add enough of the balsamic glaze until it tastes great.  I'm not sure how much I used, probably about 8-10 turns in the pan, if that makes sense.  The sauce will thicken but won't be as thick as gravy.  Remember that the pasta will soak a lot of it up.

Add the cream and return the breasts to the sauce.  Serve over the pasta.  Make sure your sauce is ready before the pasta is done so you can add the sauce immediately to the pasta.

Top with the tomatoes and about 3-4 T. tarragon.  You can use parsley if you're like Colleen and don't like tarragon.  Crazy children!

If you don't roast the tomatoes, be sure and still heat them up before putting over the chicken.  To roast them, put the tomatoes in a bowl and coat with olive oil.  Add salt and pepper.  Put the tomatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet and make sure each tomato is cut side up.  Roast at 225 degrees for about 2 hours.  You can also speed the process up by roasting them at 400 for about 20 minutes.  I did this the other day and I think I might prefer the hotter method.  Not to mention I don't want the oven on for that long when it's so hot outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment