Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pulled Chicken Sammies with Apple Slaw

Mangoes have been plentiful lately and really inexpensive so I've been using them a lot.  I made my Mango Chipotle Sauce and decided to put it on bone-in chicken breasts and bake them.  It turned out great and I decided to make pulled chicken sandwiches by adding more mango sauce instead of BBQ sauce.  Totally yummy!  I also made Apple Slaw to add crunch to the sandwiches.  Serve it on toasted buns!

After making the sauce http://henshammock.blogspot.com/2011/02/mango-chipotle-sauce.html I drizzled the breasts with olive oil, sprinkled with some salt and pepper, and then coated with some of the sauce.  I baked it for about 40-45 minutes at 400 degrees.  If you have time, you can let the breasts marinade for a few hours in the fridge.
I let the chicken cool and then shredded it.  Added a little more Mango Chipotle Sauce and ended up with this:

Time to make the Apple Slaw:

3 cups thinly sliced cabbage (I buy Fresh Express pre-packaged angel hair cole slaw)
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced (about ½ cup)
1 granny smith apple, julienned (match stick cut), about 1-1/2 cups
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon or more chopped pickled jalapeno
1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
1/4 cup toasted* slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint + more for garnish
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper

Put the cabbage in a large bowl.  Add apple and squeeze the lemon over the apple matchsticks.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  It won’t look like enough mayo but keep mixing as the cabbage with release some moisture.  Garnish with a little more chopped mint.

Refrigerate and serve cold.

*Toast the nuts in a dry (no oil) non-stick skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan back and forth.  Do not walk away!  Nuts will turn golden brown quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment