Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Mango Jicama Slaw

Yes, it's mango again!  Kurtis was making this slaw at work and dressing it with a bottled Smokey Cumin Lime Vinaigrette that we sell.  I prefer not to buy too much bottled stuff so I decided to make the vinaigrette myself.  It turned out really well, if I say so myself.  I used jicama in the salad, which is a sweet root vegetable.  It really just adds great crunch to the slaw.  If you can't find it I would just add some apple.

2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped
3 cups cabbage, shredded (I usually buy the prepared slaw mix)
1 cup peeled and chopped jicama
1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted*
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Cumin Lime Vinaigrette (mine wasn't smokey)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and add vinaigrette as needed to moisten.  Remember that cabbage tends to "sweat" so it will get more moist as it stands.

Cumin Lime Vinaigrette:

2 T. fresh lime juice
3 T. rice vinegar
1/2 t. cumin
Salt to taste
1/2 cup oil (canola, olive, whatever you have)

Combine all ingredients except oil.  Whisk the oil slowly into the ingredients until well combined.

*Toasting nuts, seeds, spices, etc. is really easy.  Just heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat, add the nuts and shake back and forth.  When you start to smell the nuts they are done.  Never ever walk away from them as they will burn the minute you do (experience talking!).

No comments:

Post a Comment