Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cobb Salad with Teriyaki Chicken

The other day I got organic green leaf lettuce at HEB for 97 cents!  Crazy price, so I knew I had to make Stuart's favorite salad...Cobb.  I also marinated some chicken and then coated it with Panko bread crumbs, sauteed on a pan, and then finished it in the oven.  I really don't like grilling boneless chicken cause it seems to dry out so easily.  It's much better in the skillet/oven, like my Panko Crusted Chicken recipe from May 25.  Not to mention, it's over 100 outside so I really didn't feel like firing up the grill!

Cobb Salad
Lettuce of your choice (I like green leaf, red leaf, or romaine)
Boiled eggs, cut in quarters
Tomatoes (I like to use as many different colors as I can find)
Crumbled Gorgonzola, or any other cheese you like
Avocado slices
Bacon

Teriyaki Chicken
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup white wine
1 T. pickled ginger (or fresh, whatever you have)
2 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, and roughly chopped
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 lime, juiced

Mix all the ingredients and pour over flattened boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  Marinade for a few hours.

Take chicken out of marinade and coat with Panko bread crumbs.  Brown both sides in olive oil and then put on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness of chicken.  Let rest for about 10 minutes and then slice for the salad.

To arrange the salad, chop the lettuce a little and put on a plate.  Arrange the ingredients in rows over the lettuce.  Top with the cheese.  Serve with dressing, or not (it really doesn't need dressing).

Note:  If you're going to grill the chicken, be sure and add about 1/4 cup oil to the marinade.  Keeps the chicken from sticking.  And, leave off the Panko!

No comments:

Post a Comment