Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Slaw

I love shrimp tacos and I usually just use frozen shrimp since fresh shrimp in Austin can be pretty pricey.  I make a nice slaw (I either use the Mango Jicama Slaw below or my Apple Slaw, or I cheat and use Chinese Chicken salad dressing with a slaw mix), heat some corn tortillas, throw shrimp on the grill, and end it all with a squeeze of lime.  It's also really good with some avocado slices.

For the shrimp, I put peeled and deveined shrimp in a bowl, add some canola oil, and then any kind of spice.  For this recipe I bought BBQ spice.  I often use cumin and coriander, or really any blend of spices you like.  It's important to have the oil though so they don't burn.  Here are the shrimp skewered and ready to go on the grill.
Once skewered, I put the shrimp on a hot grill for about one minute per side.  It doesn't take long!  You could also cook them in a skillet.  Here are the shrimp after grilling:
Then I heat the tortillas in a dry non-stick skillet on medium heat.  Keep twirling them around in the pan, about 30 seconds on one side and about 15 seconds on the other side.  Wrap in a clean towel until you're ready to use them.  Serve with slaw, avocado, and fresh lime.  Great tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment