Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas

Yeah, weird combination for sure, but it was delicious!!!  Absolutely loved this, and it's vegetarian which I love even more.  Stuart, a true carnivore, thought they were great too.  I used my Salsa Verde, which I made the night before.  I used to bake the sweet potatoes but now I cut them in cubes, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes until done.  Makes for a nicer texture for sure.
8 corn tortillas (I like La Tortilla Factory)
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
1 can (4.5 oz) mild green chiles (or 1 large Hatch Anaheim chili, roasted)
1 T. minced pickled jalapeno
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. chile powder
salt and pepper
Salsa Verde
2 heaping tablespoons sour cream, crema, or 0% Greek yogurt 
Grated cheese (monterey jack, Mexican blend, Chihuahua, etc.)

In a bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, green chiles, jalapeno, cumin, chile powder, salt and pepper.  Add black beans.

To assemble:

Heat the Salsa Verde.  Turn off heat and add the sour cream or yogurt (I use Fage 0% Greek yogurt).  Microwave the tortillas for about 30 seconds wrapped inside paper towels.  Spoon a little of the salsa into the bottom of a greased baking dish that will hold 8 enchiladas.  Spoon a little more salsa verde into a wide bowl and dip each tortilla into the salsa.  Top each tortilla with 1/8th of the sweet potato bean mixture.  Roll up and put into the baking dish.  Top with the remaining salsa verde and shredded cheese.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes until top is brown and bubbly, like the picture.  I serve it with a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and a squeeze of lime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment