Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kale Chips

The other day at work Libby noticed that we got new chips...they were kale chips, so, of course, we had to open them up and try them.  Our job is tough but we do our best!  The chips were really tasty but there was only a handful of in the bag and it was $6!  Sorry, but I don't pay $6 for a handful of chips, kale or no kale.

I told Libby I would try and make kale chips myself, so that's what I did today.  And???  They were awesome!  I think Stuart thought I was crazy when I told him they were kale chips but he sure didn't mind eating them.  He said, "What could be bad...they are crunchy and salty."  But, unlike potato chips, kale chips are actually good for you.  I called Libby and told her to come over but she wasn't home.  That's a good thing cause we had those puppies polished off in no time, especially because I offered some our neighbor, Mary, who ended up scarfing them down and getting green kale crumbs all over her!

I used organic kale cause I think that's pretty important for greens.  The most important thing, though, is to get the kale really, really dry.  This is where the good old salad spinner comes in handy.  I plan on playing with the recipe to see if a lower heat/longer cooking time will be better.  Just keep an eye on them while they're cooking.  The minute they crisp up is when you need to take them out of the oven; any longer and they start turning brown and getting bitter.

This is how much kale I got from one bunch.  It doesn't look like much but it filled two cookie sheets and made a bowl of chips.
As a long-ago friend of Stuart's used to say:  Get your snack-upon!

1 bunch organic kale, leaves removed from stems, rinsed and dried thoroughly
3 T. olive oil
1 T. vinegar (I used champagne but I think I'll try apple cider vinegar next time)
1 t. salt+more sprinkled on top once the chips are out of the oven, if needed

Whisk the oil, vinegar and salt in a salad bowl.  Swirl the oil mixture around to coat the edges of the bowl.  Put dried kale into the bowl and toss.  Make sure the leaves are well coated.

Place leaves in a single layer on two parchment-lined cookie sheets.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes.  Keep an eye on them since all ovens vary!

No comments:

Post a Comment