Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Artichoke Pasta Salad

Update:  I made this salad again and used a little Parmesan instead of the goat cheese.  It was really good.  New picture too.

I was in the mood for some pasta salad so I marinated some artichoke hearts and then added tomatoes, peppers, spinach, and goat cheese.  I used Rao's tri-colored farfalle (bow ties) and it was awesome.  It's expensive but it was totally worth it.  When pasta is the star of the show, use the best stuff you can.  You could buy marinated artichoke hearts instead of doing it yourself, but I think doing it yourself is better since you get to choose the spices and olive oil, and it's the act of cooking!

1 lb. pasta
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 red pepper, cut into one inch slices
1/2 yellow pepper, cut into one inch slices
Large handful of baby spinach, roughly chopped
2-3 T. red onion, finely chopped (or use shallot)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
3-4 oz. goat cheese, feta, or parmesan (I had goat so that's what I used)

Artichoke Marinade:

1/2 cup olive oil
Zest of one large lemon
Juice of one lemon
2 T. sherry or red wine vinegar
2 t. oregano (I prefer Mexican oregano)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. pepper

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.  Add the artichoke hearts and heat to simmer.  Turn off heat and cover.  Let sit for 4-6 hours.

Cook pasta in plenty of salted water until just done.  This usually means a minute or two less than the instructions on the package.  Drain pasta and put in a large bowl.  Add the marinated artichoke hearts and the marinade.  Stir to coat the pasta.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Good warm but really good chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment