Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mac and Cheese

UPDATE:  So, the other day at work I decided I HAD to make mac and cheese for dinner.  I talked to my friend, Michael, who works in Catering but used to work in the Cheese Dept.  He told me I should use two cheeses:  one for creaminess and the other for flavor.  We decided on Beemster brand Gouda and it turned my regular mac and cheese into perfection!  Michael suggested using the Beemster Graskaas and the Beemster Classic 18 month aged gouda.  I topped it with Panko crumbs mixed with melted butter, instead of Parmesan, and I loved the extra crunch it gave the mac and cheese.  Thank you Michael for all your help!

2 cups + 2 T. heated whole* milk (I just microwave it for 2 minutes)
2 T. butter
2 T. flour         
1/2 lb. (2 cups dry) small pasta (Conchigliette-small shells-is perfect)
1/2 lb. grated cheese of your choice
½ cup grated Parmesan or Panko breadcrumbs mixed with 2 T. melted butter
Pepper
Pinch of nutmeg

Boil pasta in plenty of salted water until al dente (about 6 minutes).  Drain. 

Melt butter over medium heat.  Whisk in flour and stir for a minute or two.  Add heated milk and continue whisking until mixture comes to a boil.  Turn heat down and continue cooking (and stirring occasionally) until mixture thickens, about five minutes.  Add pepper and nutmeg. 

Combine pasta, cheese and sauce and pour into a greased casserole dish (about 8x8 is perfect).  Top with more cheese and then the Parmesan or breadcrumbs.

Bake 350 for about 25-30 minutes until top begins to brown.  Don't overcook.  Once it starts browning, it's done.

*Often I just use skim milk since that's what I have on hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment