Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Great Cornbread!

I love cornbread and I have a really basic, simple recipe for good cornbread.  One thing that is a must is a cast iron skillet.  I only have a small one so I actually half this recipe.  My skillet makes about six slices so that's perfect for me and Stuart.  I like this recipe because it uses only corn meal and no flour.  That makes it a whole grain bread, which is a good thing.  I also substitute Kefir for buttermilk since I drink Kefir everyday, and I think it's better for you than buttermilk.
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or Kefir
2 cups cornmeal
1 t. salt                      
1 t. soda
2 t. baking powder
2 T. melted butter

Preheat oven to 475°.  Grease a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet with butter and heat in oven for 6-7 minutes.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.  In a separate bowl, beat eggs.  Add buttermilk or kefir.  Add dry ingredients and combine well.  Stir in melted butter.

Pour batter into the hot skillet.  Bake 20-25 minutes.

Since I make half this recipe for my small cast iron skillet, I only bake my cornbread for 15 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment