Welcome to My Blog!

If you're visiting for the first time, be sure and read my "Welcome to My Blog" post in February. It's the first one and it explains why I started doing this. So far it's been a lot of fun; it kind of feels like a diary.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Feta Potato Salad

I went to a cooking class at Central Market and Nancy Marr made a great potato salad that didn't have any mayonnaise.  Instead, she used goat cheese.  I decided to change it up a bit and use feta.  I also saved the little bit of bacon fat and poured that on the hot potatoes.  Yeah, not exactly Helen-ish but it sure tasted good!  I loved when I was telling Cindy at work about how I poured the bacon grease on the hot, cooked potatoes.  She said, "Helen, that is so unlike you!"  Yeah, but sometimes you have to sacrifice for the greater good!
2+ pounds small potatoes, boiled*
1 large shallot, finely diced (or 1 bunch chives)
1-2 stalks celery, finely diced
2-3 T. fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, dill, etc.), minced
1 T. Dijon mustard
2 T. white wine or Champagne vinegar
2 T. olive oil
3 slices bacon, small diced and cooked (reserve fat)
½ lemon, juiced
4 oz. feta, packed in water, crumbled

Boil potatoes as directed below.  Reserve 2 T. of the starchy potato water.  Mix the water with the mustard and vinegar.  Add 1-2 T. olive oil and whisk to emulsify.  Cut potatoes into quarters, put in a bowl and add bacon and grease (drain the grease if this freaks you out, but you lose a lot of flavor).  Add the celery, shallot or chives, and herbs.  Add the oil mixture and squeeze of lemon juice.  Mix in feta and serve.

*I boil the potatoes in salted water just until they are knife tender (in other words, not quite cooked).  Then I drain them in a colander and I put the colander on top of the pot.  I cover that with a dish towel and let them steam for about 10 minutes.  Perfect boiled potatoes every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment